On Friday 15 May 2020, Marc Tuters, Sal Hagen, Stijn Peeters, Emillie de Keulenaar, and Daniël de Zeeuw of OILab took part in a virtual conference conference hosted by King’s College London’s Centre for Digital Culture.
Titled “Memes: The Cultural Logic of Late Capitalism”, the conference features the following OILab talks:
- 10:47 – Introduction by Marc Tuters
- 19:29 – “‘Is he /ourguy/?’: Repurposing the meta-language of online anonymous collectives” by Sal Hagen
- 35:20 – “How Kekistan united and divided the right: Transcoding an Incoherent Movement” by Emillie de Keulenaar
- 51:25 – “Memes as markers: Tracing political thought from 4chan to Breitbart through memetic content” by Stijn Peeters
- 01:07:21 – “Encyclopedia Dramatica Explorer” by Daniël de Zeeuw.
- 01:20:22 – Q&A
In addition, inspiring talks were given by An Xiao Mina, Anastasia Denisova, Phillip Seargeant, and Alessandro Lolli.